Kenya saved 315,000 tonnes of cereals from destruction by locusts, says FAO
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020
United Nations and Kenya managed to protect over 315,000 tonnes of cereals against destruction by desert locusts that invaded the country in December last year.
A high-powered delegation of the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) visiting the country confirmed that a lot of milestones have been registered following collaboration by various players for the last nine months.
FAO Director of Emergency and Resilience Dominique Burgeon said for the last nine months, over 150,000 hectares have been saved from the invasion of the migratory pests.
“Through collaboration between FAO, Kenya government and other partners a lot of progress has been recorded.
For example, over 150,000 pastoralists’ households have been protected against the impact of the desert locust invasion,” he said.
Addressing the media jointly with Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Peter Munya at Kilimo House yesterday, Burgeon hailed the efforts by all the players committed to contain the locust swarms in the country.
However, he indicated the country is not yet out of woods in terms of more invasions as six swarms are yet to be contained in prone security Suguta Valley in Turkana County.
“But we are intensifying our efforts to make sure all the pests are fully contained,” he added.
The FAO mission presented to Munya a report on Impact of Dessert Locust Invasion in Kenya.
Munya said the government will continue strengthening partnership with the UN food agency.