Business

State, development partners to spend Sh5.3b to reduce malnutrition cases

Tuesday, April 2nd, 2024 08:36 | By
Agriculture Cabinet secretary Mithika Linturi. PHOTO/Print
Agriculture Cabinet secretary Mithika Linturi. PHOTO/Print

The government and development organisations will spend $40million (Sh5.3 billion) to finance activities designed to reduce acute cases of malnutrition as part of enhancing economic growth.


The players focus on implementing key strategies and targeting counties in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) to cut the increasing starvation cases among seven million Kenyans in the next five years.


Agriculture Cabinet secretary Mithika Linturi (pictured) last week complained that the country is struggling with high cases of malnutrition, especially among children.


“Child under-nutrition alone is costing the country in excess of Sh373.9 billion accounting 6.9 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP),” he said. Linturi made the remarks in a speech read on his behalf by Director of Administration Rashid Khator during the launch of GAIN Kenya Business Plan (2023-2027) and Food Systems dashboard at a Nairobi hotel.


Healthier diets


The development organisations under the leadership of the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN Kenya), Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations and World Food Programme (WFP), targets seven million Kenyans to enable them access healthier diets by 2027.


GAIN Kenya Country director Ruth Okoa said her organisation’s new business plan for 2023-2027 targets to support various activities designed to ease starvation, especially among the children.

More on Business


ADVERTISEMENT