13 killed in Rwanda landslides
Landslides triggered by heavy downpour on Sunday left 13 people dead and two others injured in different parts of Rwanda, the Ministry of Emergency Management has said, warning that the death toll could rise.
Majority of those killed were from the capital Kigali's Kicukiro, Gasabo, and Nyarugenge districts, Olivier Kayumba, the Permanent Secretary in Rwanda's Ministry of Emergency Management told reporters Monday in a news briefing.
In one of the incidents, a landslide destroyed a house in Kanombe sector, Kicukiro district, killing three family members, a mother and two children, he said.
He added that dozens lost their homes after 15 houses were destroyed in different districts.
Kayumba said rescue efforts were ongoing by residents and local leaders.
At least 70 people were killed while 177 were injured by natural disasters triggered by heavy rains across Rwanda between January and September last year, according to data released by Rwanda's Ministry of Emergency Management. (Xinhua)