Family seek answers after kin plunges to death in MSC boiler
The mystery surrounding the death of a Mumias Sugar Company employee who plunged into a boiler on Saturday night deepened yesterday after the family alleged a cover-up involving the firm’s bosses and police.
Dickson Inganga, 54, who was not on any written contract with the Sarai group that is undertaking the company’s revival, reportedly stepped on a rusty and shaky top aperture of a sucrose boiler, which then caved in under his weight.
Mumias West police boss Stephen Muoni, said his office is treating the incident as a normal accident even though police were absent when the body was retrieved from the boiler.
In a response to family foul play claims, Muoni claimed all indications were that Inganga and his co-workers were cleaning the boiler when the accident happened. Denied access Asked why police were not called in to retrieve the body from the scene with MSC police post hardly 500 meters away, Muoni claimed workers were racing against time to save the deceased.
He claimed Inganga died while undergoing treatment at St. Mary’s Hospital Mumias. Inganga’s family however disapproves of the argument saying they were notified of the accident more than twelve hours after it happened, were also denied access to the factory accident scene and equally when they went to St. Mary’s hospital mortuary to view the remains.
“When we got to the factory, the Asian managers told us to calm down, promising to meet the cost of the post-mortem examination and funeral expenses. They blocked us from getting to the scene of the accident, urging us to expedite the funeral arrangement,” Yusuf Akhwale, a brother to the deceased claimed.
The wife of the deceased Beatrice Inganga claimed his husband slipped and tumbled in a sucrose-filled boiler.
She however questioned the manner the body was retrieved and transferred to the mortuary in the absence of the police and family members.
The chairman of the MSC Workers Union Patrick Mutimba accused the Sarai group of undertaking operations at the firm in utter disregard for hygiene and safety regulations. He claimed workers in the factory had not been given safety clothing and gear.