Gor surrender league title after defeat to Kariobangi Sharks, KCB gunned down Ulinzi

Thursday, July 22nd, 2021 00:00 | By
Douglas Mokaya of Kariobangi Sharks (left) vies for the ball against Gor Mahia’s Clifton Miheso during their first leg league clash at Kasarani. Yesterday, Sharks beat Gor 2-1 in Thika. Photo/PD/RODGERS NDEGWA

Eric Kapaito has equalled Jesse Were’s six year-old goal record after netting his 22nd of the campaign against Gor Mahia during Kariobangi Sharks’  2-1 win over the reigning champions in a thrilling midweek premier league encounter at Thika Stadium yesterday.

Kapaito’s first half penalty in the 21st minute has made him the absolute favourite to match the feat  of the former Tusker forward who currently plies his trade for Zambian Champions Zesco United.

This was his third goal in as many games and indeed third against K’Ogalo this season as the former Talanta FC striker continued to prove his mettle.

The goal came when John Ochien’g of Gor Mahia tripped Kapaito inside the box as he prepared to tap in the ball from close range from a Ibrahim Ochien’g pass.

A confident Kapaito sent Gad Matthews the wrong way from the spot for the opener.

Robert Onyango had the second for fourth placed Sharks after a good run by substitute and namesake Robert Odede, found the lively striker with acres of space to bury home past a stranded Matthews for the second goal in the 71st minute.

Burundian attacker Jules Ulimwengu pulled a consolation goal for Gor Mahia in the 89th minute in what was a nervy ending to the contest as K’Ogalo went for six matches without a win.

Earlier, KCB cut the gap at the top of the league table to four points following a late 2-1 win over stubborn Ulinzi Stars yesterday at the same stadium.

A late goal by David Simiyu in the 89th minute was enough to give the second placed Bankers a shot at the title after two consecutive matches where Zedekiah Otieno’s men hadtumbled.

KCB is now on 50 points off 25 matches but with an advantage of a match in hand.KCB were first to concede in the first half courtesy of the soldiers danger man Masita Masuta in the fourth minute of added time in the first half to go ahead in the break.

In the second half, KCB pressed more and it was Derrick Otanga to score the equalizer in the 53rd minute for KCB through a penalty, incidentally after missing one in the second minute of the game. 

Simiyu was then to be the hero for the Bankers as the League title chase is suddenly blown open following KCB’s 15th win of the campaign.

Wazito left it late to beat hosts Kakamega Homeboyz 1-0at ASK Grounds in Nakuru following an 89th minute goal by offensive midfielder Whyvonne Isuza.

The lone strike by the former AFC Leopards man pushes Francis Kimanzi’s side to eighth with 38 points off 26 matches.

In another match, John Amboko took his first match in-charge of Nairobi City Stars following the departure of Bosnian Sanjin Alagic last week. 

However City Stars retain seventh place following their goalless draw with Vihiga United away at Nakuru’s ASK Ground.

City Stars have 38 points following their second consecutive draw while Vihiga United are in relegation danger with 17 points following four losses and two draws in six matches.

More on News