Government steps up bid to trace learners yet to resume classes
Thursday, October 15th, 2020
Robert Ochoro and KNA
The government yesterday moved to trace learners who are yet to report to schools and relocate those affected by floods, in various parts of the country.
Basic Education Principal Secretary (PS) Belio Kipsang said the government planned to relocate more than 3,000 learners, whose schools were affected by floods during closure as a result of Covid-19.
Kipsang said among those hardest hit by the ravaging floods were learners in 17 schools in Baringo County.
Speaking during an assessment of partial reopening of schools in Baringo County, the PS said all actions are geared towards ensuring the comfort of learners.
“We had a meeting with our team here in the county and we have looked at all dynamics involved as schools reopen,” explained the PS.
He added: “We have about two schools (in Baringo) that have not been relocated but we will work with non-State actors to ensure they get tents for learning in the meantime,” Kipsang explained.
And speaking separately when he assessed the resumption of learning in parts of central Kenya, Central regional commissioner Wilfred Nyagwanga announced the national government’s bid to track down pupils who have not resumed since reopening on Monday.
Nyagwanga said the government was determined to track down the missing students, estimated to be in their thousands and establish reasons behind their failure to report back to school.
He told headteachers to keep an updated record of pupils on a daily basis and forward the names and classes of the missing learners to the respective chiefs or their assistants for follow-up.
Speaking at Nyamachaki Primary School in Nyeri, Nyagwanga assured parents that their children were safe since adequate measures had been put in place to protect them from contracting Covid-19.
And in Kisii, parents appealed to leaders, professionals and civil society organisations to support children from poor families with masks to keep them in schools.