Kenya confirms fourth case of coronavirus
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe on Tuesday said the government has confirmed another case of coronavirus case in Kenya.
This brings to four confirmed cases in the country so far.
The latest case is of a Kenyan citizen who traveled into the country from London, Unitd Kingdom, on February 8 and arrived in Kenya on February 9.
"We are currently tracing those who may have come into contact with the patient," CS Kagwe said.
While speaking at Afya House, CS Kagwe said that so far 111 cases have been tested at the country's laboratory.
He added that the tests on the 27 persons who came into contact with the first patient had turned out to be negative.
The government has also directed that cargo vessels from China will be allowed into the country so long as they are disinfected at the port of origin and the crew quarantined once they get into the country.
The government has also lifted the ban on foreigners getting into the country.
"The families of the diplomats and the UN staff will be allowed into the country but they must follow the rules," the CS said.
The first case was reported in Kenya on Friday, a woman who had returned to the country from the US on March 5.
On Sunday, the cases rose to three after two more cases were confirmed after tests on 27 people who came into close contact with the country's first patient.
President Uhuru Kenyatta immediately directed that all entries into the country by people from all countries affected by the Covid-19 be suspended and all learning institutions be closed.
The President also asked government offices and private ones to allow employees to work from home.
At least 18 countries in Africa. Egypt and Algeria are leading with the number of cases in the continent.