Kenya Power raises alarm over cases of electrocution
Wednesday, May 19th, 2021 00:00 | < 1 min read
About 345 people have been electrocuted in the country in the past three years, Kenya Power Company Manager for Safety, Health and Environment John Guda has said.
Guda attributed 74 per cent of the electrocutions to unsafe public practices, including illegal connections, poor wiring, vandalism and wayleave encroachments while 26 per cent of the deaths were caused by negligence and non-compliance to standards of Kenya Power and contractors.
“In the 2018/2019 fiscal year 104 deaths were recorded while 148 people were electrocuted in 2019/2020. In the current financial year 93 people have lost their lives so far,” said Guda.
Speaking in Wote town during a sensitisation workshop for National Government Administrative Officers, the official underscored the need for public awareness to curb deaths.
“As we increase our connections, we have also seen an increase of electrocutions...that is why we are sensitising the public on electrical safety,’’ he said.
Nakuru, Guda said, was the worst hit county. Others are Kiambu, Uasin Gishu, Kisii, Nyamira, Makueni, Busia, Siaya and Kwale counties.
“We are also asking Kenyans to contract licensed technicians and electricians to avoid shoddy wiring, especially in homes,” said Guda.
He also decried vandalism which he said led to economic loss not only for Kenya Power but also businesses. —KNA