Mwendwa defends track record as he seeks second term
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa has defended his record, claiming that soccer has developed in the country under his leadership.
Speaking at Milimani Law Courts when FKF and the Sports Registrar were squaring it out before the Sports Disputes Tribunal over the upcoming elections, the FKF boss said what he had done in his four years in office is visible hence his desire for another term while lashing out at his critics whom he termed as a let-down.
“It is in the open what we have been able to do over the past four years and nobody can question that.
In that period, we have taken our two national teams the Harambee Stars and Harambee Starlets to the Africa Cup of Nations after a long time.
This is because of the solid structures we put in place,” said Mwendwa.
He added: “Our Under 17 and 15 sides are also keeping busy because of our steadfast commitment for the future of our game.”
Mwendwa also pointed out that Stars and Starlets have won the CECAFA title under his stewardship while Gor Mahia, Bandari and Kariobangi Sharks have made giant strides in continental football during that period.
The FKF boss, who is the only candidate cleared for the March 28 presidential polls, said he had been able to secure a number of sponsorship deals that have benefited local football.
“Chapa Dimba with Safaricom is a programme that has seen youngsters expose their talent. After a long time, we have a title sponsor for National Super League (Betika) who have poured in Sh90 million for the next three seasons.
Odibet Mtaaani is also huge because over 50,000 balls and an equal number of kits are delivered to the grassroots.”