Follow

Akaranga tasked to account for Sh1b lost during his reign

By People Reporter
Thursday, January 16th, 2020
Former Vihiga county governor Moses Akaranga. Photo/File
In summary

Former Vihiga Governor Moses Akaranga was yesterday grilled at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters for more than three hours over the loss of Sh1 billion from the county government during his tenure.

Akaranga arrived at the DCI offices at around 2.30pm and was questioned by DCI officers from Parklands, led by superintendent David Chebii, for several hours. 

Confirming the questioning, DCI boss George Kinoti said they had split the case against Akaranga into three, and the former governor is likely to be charged with abuse of office and misuse of funds.

In the first case, Kinoti said Akaranga was questioned on why he authorised the purchase of a Sh6 million generator from Car and General Limited using the county coffers, which was later diverted to his personal use.

“We wanted him to tell more about the generator after our officers recovered it from the former governor’s house.

At the time, it had been converted for personal use while it was purchased using county funds,” Kinoti said.

Kinoti further stated: “On this case, we are in possession of documents that have made us commence probing the former governor over abuse of office and misappropriation of funds. The case is nearing completion as we are only tying up some loose ends.”

The DCI boss further said Akaranga was also questioned over the alleged loss of about Sh900 million meant for development.

ADVERTISEMENT