Ngilu ran down Kitui county, governor Malombe claims
Kitui Governor Julius Malombe yesterday termed the county’s state of affairs as disgraceful.
He said he had inherited a terrible, run-down county from his predecessor Charity Ngilu.
Malombe (pictured) said his priority at the moment is to devise ways of addressing the inherent challenges and turn around the fortunes of the county and its the people.
Speaking during the opening of the third Kitui County Assembly on Tuesday, the governor said he had taken over a county that is in dire straits and whose public reputation and financial status is at an all-time low.
“A head of us now is the crucial responsibility to reclaim our county’s lost glory. In the last five years, no tangible and visible development has been undertaken to meaningfully uplift our people’s livelihoods. We have inherited a sad state of affairs,” he said.
Malombe said most health facilities across the county have no drugs, pending bills including legal liabilities had been allowed to accumulate to unsustainable levels. He revealed that staff salaries had been delayed for more than a month and that development was inequitable, with some county wards not getting sustainable projects for the last five years.
Malombe talked of misguided investments and poor management for county entities.
“Working together, we have the ability and capacity to unlock the unexploited huge potential of our great county,” he said.