Follow

Only four counties hit 100pc Form One transition – Magoha

By , People Daily Digital
Thursday, August 26th, 2021 00:00 | 2 mins read
Education CS George Magoha (left) at Nyalenda slums in Kisumu. Photo/PD/Viola Kosome

Only four counties have attained a 100 per cent transition from primary to secondary school, Education Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha revealed yesterday.

Three others have achieved a 99 per cent rate, according to the CS.  

 Those that have hit the 100 per cent mark are Nyeri, Nyamira, Bomet and Mandera counties.

They are followed by Nyandarua, Kisii and Wajir at 99 per cent.

Homa Bay, Kirinyaga, Migori and Kiambu counties are at 95 per cent.

In Kisumu, where many bright but needy learners especially from the informal settlements are yet to join Form One, 82 per cent transition rate had been attained. 

The CS said Coast counties were doing badly in the secondary school transition rate, with most of them registering between 60 to 70 per cent.

Informal settlements

“The government has dispatched officers in various parts of the country who are leading the mop up exercise.

This is an exercise that must continue until every county reaches 100 per cent transition mark,” he said.

He was speaking in Kisumu when he led the campaign to search for learners who have not reported to secondary school in the town’s informal settlements

Magoha said the 100 per cent transition policy had resulted in a 10.28 per cent increase from last year.

While downplaying criticism of the transition policy, Magoha said its success was notable in schools across country.

He pointed out that the policy, which started in 2018, had been transformative and had ensured that most children benefit from basic education.

“The footprint of transformation that 100 per cent policy has achieved is evident from the figures we have recorded so far.

I want to urge the public to ignore all those making noise about this policy without facts,” Magoha said.

Four students

He said transition policy had given learners an opportunity to fulfill their dreams.

“Our job is to continue to ensure that all children who complete Class Eight transit to Form One.

And beyond that any child who has been out of school for whatever reason is mopped back,” he said.

He reiterated that the mop up campaign, which started on Monday, will continue until all the 2020 Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination candidates are enrolled in Form One.

The CS was accompanied by other county Education and Interior ministry officials.

In Kisumu, at least four students, among them two girls who scored more than 350 marks in the 2020 KCPE examination, and a boy with 299 marks, were assisted to join various secondary schools.

Magoha said Kenya provides the highest amount of capitation to education in Africa.

Recommended Stories

ADVERTISEMENT