Follow

Probe in Tigray did not reach Axum: United Nations

By Xinhua News Agency
Wednesday, September 15th, 2021 00:00 | 2 mins read
In this June 29, 2021 photo, pro-TPLF rebels arrive in Mekele, the capital of Tigray region, Ethiopia, after eight hours of walking. Rebels from Ethiopia’s war-hit Tigray killed at least 125 residents of a village in the neighbouring Amhara region. Photo/AFP

Paris, Tuesday

The United Nations human rights chief has said a highly awaited joint investigation into abuses in Ethiopia’s Tigray conflict was unable to deploy to the site of one of its deadliest attacks, the alleged massacre of several hundred people in the holy city of Axum.

Michelle Bachelet told the UN Human Rights Council on Monday that deployments to eastern and central Tigray, where witnesses have accused Ethiopian and allied forces from neighbouring Eritrea of some of the worst abuses of the 10-month war, “could not proceed”.

She cited “sudden changes in the security situation and in the conflict dynamics”. She did not give details.

The war saw a dramatic shift in late June when the Tigray forces retook much of Ethiopia’s northern Tigray region and Ethiopian and allied forces withdrew.

The shift in the war occurred about midway in the work of the joint investigation by the UN human rights office and the government-created Ethiopian Human Rights Commission, carried out between May 16 and August 20.

The joint report will be published on November 1, a delay from its once-expected release this month.

“It is already clear that cases documented comprise multiple allegations of human rights violations, including attacks on civilians, extrajudicial killings, torture, and enforced disappearances among other grave abuses,” Bachelet said.

“Sexual and gender-based violence has been characterised by a pattern of extreme brutality, including gang rapes, sexualised torture and ethnically targeted sexual violence.”

Bachelet added that during the period under review, Tigrayan forces had allegedly been responsible for attacks on civilians, including indiscriminate killings resulting in nearly 76,500 people being displaced in the Afar region and an estimated 200,000 others in Amhara.

More than 200 individuals have reportedly been killed in the most recent clashes in these regions, and 88 individuals, including children, have been wounded, she said.

“We have also received serious reports of recruitment of children into the conflict by Tigrayan forces, which is prohibited under international law,” Bachelet said.

A joint statement last week said the team conducted investigations in the Tigray regional capital of Mekele, as well as the communities of Wukro, Samre, Alamata, Bora, Maichew, Dansha, Maikadra and Humera in the southern and western parts of the region.

The team also carried out investigations in Gondar and Bahir Dar in the neighbouring Amhara region along with Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa. - Xinhua

Xinhua News Agency