Sofapaka weighs down Wazito

Thursday, December 9th, 2021 08:17 | By
Sofapaka’s Lawrence Juma celebrates after scoring against Wazito in a midweek league match at Wundanyi Stadium yesterday. PHOTO/PD/ RODGERS OTIENO

In other mid week matches, Mathare United and Kenya Police punched above their weight in the eighth round of the competition.

Newly-promoted Police did the unthinkable by beating erstwhile leaders Kariobangi Sharks 3-1 while Mathare punched above their weight by restricting hosts Kakamega Homeboyz to a 2-2 draw at the dreaded Bukhungu Stadium in Kakamega.

At Wundanyi stadium, Lawrence Juma gave the hosts Sofapaka the lead in the 44th minute, but former Sofapaka skipper Elly Asieche replied for Wazito in the 56th minute, before Hansel Ochieng opened his goal account for ‘Batoto Ba Mungu’ with the winner in the 80th minute.

In Kasarani Annexe, Sharks met the shock of their lives after losing to Police in a result which saw the former surrender their league lead.
Police hero was former Gor Mahia man Cliffton Miheso who scored two goals in a two-minute burst towards the end of the duel.

The law enforcers, who were smarting from a 2-0 loss at the hands of Sofapaka going into the fixture, shocked Sharks when they took the lead in the 14th minute, Clinton Kinanga’s individual brilliance enabling him to poke the ball home from close range.

The goal did little to trouble Sharks with Partillah Omoto levelling matters in added minutes of the first half moments after he had missed a sitter.
Towards the end, Police were in an uncompromising mood with Miheso coming off the bench to demonstrate his mojo.

At Bukhungu Stadium, hosts Kakamega Homeboyz called it late to hold Mathare United 2-2.

Mathare started off with a flurry of attacks and were duly rewarded with the opener when Brian Eshihanda guided the ball in his own net following an in-swinging ball in the box from a screamer from Danson Kago.

Still pressing to the disbelief of the visitors,  Mathare notched in the second goal in the 64th minute through Eugene Wethuli after he had eluded his marker.

Mathare then relaxed their tempo which gave leeway for Homeboyz Congolese striker Yema Mwana, who was sourced from Bandari, to reduce the deficit in the 82nd.

In the 82nd minute, Sunday Mutuku assured the hosts a share of the spoils with a well taken strike.

In Ruaraka, Nairobi City Stars and Nzoia Sugar continued after they shared the spoils in a barren draw.

Both teams were coming off defeats last weekend ahead of the stalemate, Stars falling 2-1 to Kariobangi Sharks and Nzoia succumbing 0-1 to Kakamega Homeboyz.

Ironically, Stars have plundered the highest number of goals in the season with 14 to their name but found it hard to penetrate the defence of Nzoia Sugar who have inferior head to head statistics with Simba wa Nairobi.
Like City Stars, Nzoia Sugar was also unsuccessful to muscle their way into scoring despite being a more determined side in the first half of the cagey encounter.

Following the result, City Stars continued clinging into the fifth position in the chart with thirteen points from eight matches played while Nzoia maintained their second last slot with two points out of the same number of outings.

In Ruaraka, newly-promoted FC Talanta continued with their giant-killing ways by stopping Bidco 2-1.

More on News