News

Trial of six in Sh10 million Merali fraud case halted

Thursday, November 24th, 2022 07:30 | By
Court hammer. PHOTO/Courtesy

The trial of six persons accused of mimicking the voice of former President Uhuru Kenyatta and defrauding a businessman Sh10 million has been halted following the death of the complainant.

Prosecutor Alexander Gikunda yesterday told trial magistrate Wendy Kagendo that the complainant, Sameer Africa chairman Naushad Merali, passed on.

While asking for adjournment of the hearing, the prosecutor said the DPP Noordin Haji has since recalled the file for review and further directions (file is under review).

The case had been scheduled for hearing when the prosecutor communicated to court the new development, which affected the trial.

Defence lawyer Stanley Kang’ahi did not oppose the adjournment to allow the DPP give further directions. The case was postponed to January 10, 2023 when the prosecutor will give directions on proceedings of the trial.

The accused persons include Joseph Waswa, Duncan Muchai, Isaac Wajekeche, William Simiyu, David Luganya, Gilbert Kirunja and Anthony Wafula.

They are suspected of calling the businessman demanding that he facilitates release of the Sh10 million for purchase of a piece of land at Nairobi’s Milimani area.

They allegedly committed the offence between January 24 and February 1, 2019.

It is alleged that the mobile number used to call the complainant was registered as Uhuru Kenyatta Kenya (Uhuru Kenyatta President).

After the telephone call, Merali instructed his finance director to get in touch with the callers who provided an Equity Bank account number where the money was deposited.

Sameer Africa wrote a letter to State House seeking an audience with Uhuru on the land deal.

More on News


ADVERTISEMENT