ELECTION COUNTDOWN

DAYS
HOURS
MINUTES
SECONDS

Sports

How FKF Caretaker Committee spent Sh564m in half a year

Wednesday, May 11th, 2022 03:00 | By

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Caretaker Committee has spent at least Sh 564 million in operations since taking office six months ago.

This was revealed to People Sport yesterday by a key member of the committee who sought anonymity. However, when asked about the expenditure, Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed who received a report from the Aaron Ringera-led team at Kasarani Stadium yesterday trashed the claims.

The figure for a six-month expenditure, dwarfs the initial budget spent on the federation, owing to the fact that the Ministry during a past Senate committee meeting, announced that it  had given FKF Sh 431 million in three years, which federation Chief Executive Officer Barry Otieno later refuted, saying that they had only received Sh 354m in three years from the ministry. 

“The committee has spent Sh200 million so far.  This is money that has been amazingly well spent in the last six months and I would like to laud the caretaker committee for that, because all matches have been played, referees have been paid and all players have been paid. No one is complaining,” Amina said.

She added: “Facts are there and no one can argue with them. So we should stop speculations.”

However, the senior committee member who talked to People Sport earlier, seemed to read from a different script.

The mandate of the committee which was formed by the minister on November 12 last year to oversee all the football operations in the country expires today.  Initially, there was a list of the committee budget which leaked on November 19 that was totalling to Sh 875.1 million, which the ministry disowned.  “We have so far spent Sh 564 million since took office and this went into paying clubs, referees and other key operations. We have sacrificed a lot in this committee in fact we just got our back dated salaries recently, we decided to serve the country first,” the source told People Sport.

He added: “The initial budget that leaked in mid November last year was genuine but it was just a draft that had not been approved. Someone had leaked it from the Ministry of Sports, then the viral message was later traced to a member of the committee.”

More on Sports


ADVERTISEMENT