Kamworor to resume training in two weeks
Tuesday, July 28th, 2020 00:00 | 2 mins read
Three-time world half marathon champion Geoffrey Kamworor has assured his fans that he is getting better and will resume full training next month.
Kamworor is recovering from an injury sustained last month after he was hit by a speeding motorcycle during his morning run on Kaptagat-Eldoret road.
“At the moment, I am doing very well. I have only resumed light training at home where I am doing workouts like cycling as I target to resume full training in two weeks’ time,” Kamworor told People Sport.
The athlete who trains at the Global Communications camp in Kaptagat was looking forward to defending his New York Marathon title in November but the event was cancelled owing to the coronavirus pandemic.
The 27-year-old was also set to lead the Kenyan team in the 2020 World Half Marathon Championships in Gydnia, Poland, on March 29 before the biennial event was postponed to October 17.
“It is something that nobody expected and it has not only affected sports but also other sectors.
Of course, for us athletes it has been a big blow, but we thank God for giving us good health, which for me is the most important thing,” said Kamworor.
The runner was also in the hunt for his maiden Olympics gold medal and while he missed out on the marathon team, he was expected to compete in the 10,000m race at the Summer Games.
The global showpiece event was also postponed to the summer of 2021 in Tokyo, Japan, exactly a year after the original dates.
Kamworor was among the first athletes to be affected by the coronavirus pandemic after World Athletics postponed the World Half Marathon Championships.
The setback was followed by the cancellation of the New York Marathon. Kamworor has said he is disappointed but respects the authorities saying life matters more during this period.
“I respect the decision of the authorities and that means we now need to get ready for next year because the virus has disrupted the sporting calendar.
“Looking forward to celebrating a marathon weekend in 2021 and stay safe always,” said Kamworor.
Michael Capiraso who is president and CEO of New York Road Runners, New York Marathon’s organisers, said in a statement: “Cancelling this year’s New York City Marathon is incredibly disappointing for everyone involved, but it was clearly the course we needed to follow from a health and safety perspective.”