Kenya Simbas into the Rugby Africa Cup final after edging Algeria

Thursday, July 7th, 2022 08:59 | By
Kenya Simbas into the Rugby Africa Cup final after edging Algeria
Kenya rugby team. PHOTO/Kenya rugby/Facebook.

Kenya Simbas are through to the Rugby Africa Cup final after a hard-fought 36-33 win over Algeria in the semi-final played at Stade Delort, Marseille on Wednesday, June 6, 2022.

The Simbas have a date against the winner of the semi-final two encounters between African Champions Namibia and Zimbabwe Sables.  To win against Algeria the Simbas scored five tries, converted four and added a penalty.

Simbas scored three first-half tries to lead 21-14 at the break. They were forced to work hard for the halftime lead as the Algerians had a brilliant start. Their first try came after just 14 seconds of play but the referee ruled it out stating t that the ball had bounced off the pitch before it was retrieved.  The Algerians were at it again this time around scoring the first try which was converted for a 7-0 lead.

Kenya answered with a touchdown from John Okoth following a ball from Samuel Asati off a ruck in Algeria's danger zone. Darwin Mukidza then converted for a 7-7 tie.  Algeria then had a series of raids and went for a maul from a penalty, landing an easy converted try to retake their seven-point advantage.

Simbas tied the game again when Eugene Sifuna's long throw lineout was grabbed by Bethuel Anami, who dashed out of the danger zone and kicked the ball for Okoth to score his second try, with Mukidza's conversion making it 14-14.

Asati set up Mukidza and the latter landed a corner post try for 19-14. The kicker rose and curled in a conversion for a 21-14 at the 35th minute.

The Simbas conceded from a maul in the opening minutes of the second half before Jone Kubu came off the bench for Mukidza to score a penalty that gave the team a tight three-point lead.

The Simbas' fourth try was scored by hooker Sifuna, who fended off his markers to give Kenya five points, which Kubu converted for a 31-21 advantage. The Algerians collected a five-pointer to reduce the gap, but the Simbas scored again through Bryceson Adaka to lead 36-26.

The Algerians were granted a penalty try, and the deficit was reduced to three points. Despite Algerian's valiant effort to score the game-winning try, the Simbas held on to win the match and advance to Sunday's final.

More on Sports