Presidential Escort Unit officers in Sudi drama transferred

Thursday, September 24th, 2020 00:00 | By
Uasin Gishu County police boss Johnston Ipara. Photo/PD/File,

Three Presidential Escort Unit (PEU) officers attached to Deputy President William Ruto have been dropped and transferred to Homa Bay,  Mandera and Bondo respectively.

The officers had last week been grilled over the role they played in the botched arrest of Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi.

Chief Inspector Amos Ekiru has been transferred to Bondo while the two Constables to Mandera and Homa Bay.

Their transfer follows that of Uasin Gishu County police commander Johnston Ipara who was last week deployed to Police Headquarters, Vigilance House.

On September 11, a contingent of police officers raided MP Sudi’s home in Eldoret to arrest him but he managed to escape with the Chief Inspector.

Two Constables and Sudi’s bodyguard were then arrested but later released.

The transferred officers were summoned to the police headquarters where they were grilled over their role in the botched arrest.

On September 13, Ipara was also grilled over allegations of complacency and the manner he handled the arrest.

He was put to task over reports that though Sudi was already being sought, he addressed hundreds of his supporters in Eldoret town where he declared that he will not apologize for his sentiments that have been termed inflammatory against the Kenyatta family.

He was accused of failing to arrest Sudi when he held a rally. This was despite the fact that two lorries full of GSU officers had been deployed there plus other officers from the County.

Preliminary reports indicate that the officers had escorted the DP to his residence, where they handed him over to the GSU officers guarding his Sugoi residence.

They then left to join Sudi at his house kilometers away. It was as they were inside the compound that police arrived.

The presidential escort officers did not declare who they were in time. This was even after shots were fired at the entrance of the compound as the team forced their way in.

After the officers had gotten into the compound, it emerged one of the elite members was armed with a Jericho pistol loaded with 15 rounds of ammunition while his colleague was armed with a Ceska pistol and 30 rounds of ammunition, according to Police headquarters.

The senior officer left his firearm in his car. It was recovered from the car and later linked to him.

The other two juniors were arrested and released a day later before they joined the senior one in Sugoi and later drove to Nairobi as the DP concluded his tour there.

More on News