Trans Nzoia: Natembeya decries vandalization of campaign posters, billboards by opponents
Trans Nzoia County gubernatorial hopeful George Natembeya has accused his opponents of vandalizing his campaign billboards and destroying his posters.
Speaking in Kitale at a press conference, Natembeya said he woke up on Wednesday morning to realize that some of his billboards had been destroyed.
"Every day, 20,000 of my posters are pinned on strategic places but you'll not see them because my opponent has organized a team to pluck and destroy them. Yesterday at night, they went an extra mile of destroying my billboards"Natembeya lamented.
The former Rift Valley Regional Commissioner called on the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission IEBC, to take not of the act and take appropriate action against the culprits.
"This is an election offence and breach of the electoral code of conduct. IEBC should take note that some people are engaging in election malpractice," he added.
Natembeya asked his campaign team not to retaliate and focus on delivering votes to him.
"We are asking our team not to retaliate because of we go that direction, it will not be good. But we are also telling our opponents to avoid such uncouth behaviour, we shall replace the posters and billboards" he appealed.
Natembeya further said the act will not reduce his support base in the Trans Nzoia gubernatorial contest.
"A billboard or poster will not vote, the people of Trans Nzoia will. Therefore we are not worried about this indecent act" he reiterated.
Natembeya, running on the Democratic Action Party of Kenya (DAP-K) ticket revealed that the billboards were sponsored by small business people who support his gubernatorial bid.
"It is inhuman for a right-thinking person to destroy billboards that were financed by small entrepreneurs here in Trans Nzoia who chose to support me in terms of publicity," he said.