Inside 14 Riverside Complex one year after terror attack

Wednesday, January 15th, 2020 11:40 | By
Staff and friends of DustiD2 Hotel are joined by Olympics champion David Rudisha (centre) during the official re-opening of the complex after closing for 192 days following a terror attack. Photo/PD/KENNA CLAUDE

The 14 Riverside Commercial Park, the scene of a terror attack on January 15 last year, is today a picture of serenity and nothing betrays the horror visited upon it, leaving 21 dead and scores injured.

 In a classic case of Kenyans’ strength and resilience, the complex that was shaken to the core by the attack is now bursting with life again with bad memories covered in peaceful ambience.

A lot has changed, shattered windows have been replaced and bullet holes that dotted the walls sealed –– as the business community slowly picks up the pieces.

Driving on the now expanded road and through the fortified gates of the commercial park carries an aura of entering a national security instalment or embassy of a powerful nation.

Security is tight and surveillance enhanced, indicating the management of the facility is not leaving anything to chance.

Inside the complex, business is back to normal with all the repairs having already been completed.

Security arrangement

We learnt that firms at the office park have made their own security arrangements to buttress what is being provided by the management, with electronic company LG having fitted a remote controlled, descending steel doors at their main entrance that can withstand heavy ammunition.

According to police, the Al-shabab terrorists attacked 14 Riverside Complex after surveying its target and established weak points. 

Hiram Macharia, LG Digital marketing manager who survived the attack last year, is upbeat that business will pick up as Kenyans feel confident about the new security apparatus.

Before the attack, the complex  housed over 40 businesses most of which resumed operations weeks after attack.

However, some of them such as Cellulite, which suffered the biggest casualty have moved their offices. Eight employees of the tech firm were killed.

Maureen Murunga who owned Amadiva salon has also not opened her business after attack.

It was the second time she had escaped death, having also survived the Westgate Mall attack where her beauty shop was located. 

More on News