Sakaja confirms recruitment of 3,500 youths for city cleanup
The Nairobi County government has contracted 3,500 young people to aid in the city's clean-up initiative.
Governor Johnson Sakaja said 2,500 youths started their employment as environmental staff on Monday, September 11.
The new members of staff were unveiled during the launch of the county government's El Niño preparedness Marshall plan and activities.
The county boss noted that the next cohort of 1,000 workers will join the programme soon.
"Hongera and serve diligently. The next cohort of 1,000 will join shortly," Sakaja said in a statement.
The programme is aimed at helping Nairobi prepare for potential floods, landslides, and other natural disasters that could impact the city during the rainy season.
According to the Kenya Meteorological Department, the country is expected to experience El Niño rains from October to December 2023.
In a statement last month, the met department warned of a 99 per cent likelihood of high rainfall across parts of the country.
“In the highlands east of the Rift Valley, Nairobi included, rainfall is expected throughout the season above the season's long-term average. The rainfall will be well distributed in terms of space,” the department said.
El Niño is characterised by above-average rainfall, occurring every three to five years, causing flooding in the affected areas.
Meanwhile, Sakaja implored city residents to desist from illegal dumping and clear structures built on drainage and sewer installations ahead of the rains.
"We have mapped out all hotspot areas that are prone to flooding and the green army will shortly be on site in all the 85 wards. Say hi when you see them; encourage them," Sakaja added.